|Date Posted||Oct 12, 2012|
|Job Type||Full Time|
Based primarily out of our Head Office near Dufferin and Lawrence, you will join Want as a Buyer who will work closely with the Head Buyer and Buying Department Assistant on a daily basis.
The successful candidate will be highly efficient and productive, possess a “can do” attitude and have a natural ability to work in a fun, fast paced and demanding environment. Strong work ethic, integrity and productivity are rewarded with growth opportunities and competitive compensation, benefits, free parking and other great perks!
• Manage a distinct fashion category and all aspects of buying related functions for that category.
• Manage budgets allocated to the designated category.
• Effectively select the right mix and balance of merchandise related to a designated category, with appropriate consideration given to budgets, per store client profile, and territory restrictions.
• Balance trends, client expectations, and costs in making buying decisions.
• Complete and process purchase orders in accordance with deadlines and budget allowances.
• Monitor and action cancellations, returns, and exchanges of merchandise.
• React to feedback from stores with respect to quality and fit issues in an efficient manner.
• Proactively research future season trends and adjust buying actions based on research to facilitate strong sales on a per store and company basis.
• Analyze and maintain current knowledge through report generation, and use this knowledge to steer responsible buying decisions.
• Follow all Buying Department work flow procedures while providing full visibility and transparency to the rest of the Buying Department.
• Work closely with the Inventory Department to satisfy pricing, allocation, and territory restrictions.
• Conduct necessary in-store visits to gain an ongoing understanding of Want’s clientele base as a company and for each store.
• Book and participate in local and cross-border (currently Los Angeles and New York) buying appointments with designated vendors.
• Cultivate vendor relationships in a positive manner that supports business needs and represents Want’s brand in a professional manner
• Monitor and report category and vendor performance, and contribute to vendor selection, activation and de-selection as appropriate.
• Maintain impeccable vendor relations records that include details about vendor activity and performance history of vendor lines for designated categories.
Experience and skill requirements:
• Minimum 5 years of experience in a Buyer position, preferably for a multi-branch, smaller fashion boutique retailer.
• Post-secondary education related to buying is a definite asset.
• Has a true passion for fashion and is able to eye what is right for consumption by different demographic groups.
• Experienced in and knowledgeable about the retail buying process.
• Proactive and knowledgeable with respect to industry evolution and trends.
• Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
• Excellent time management, multi-tasking, and prioritization skills, with the ability to work on multiple objectives simultaneously with an appropriate level of urgency.
• Superior organization skills with a strong attention to detail.
• Ability to work using an adaptive approach, with the ability to shift directions in an efficient and effective manner.
• Comfortable with negotiations and conflict management with vendor partners.
• Strong analytical skills matched with comfort and experience in dealing with numbers, reports and budgets.
• Comfortable with various computer software systems and at ease with technology. Able and comfortable to generate systems reports, and to build and work with MS Excel spreadsheets at an intermediate level.
• Willing and has the appropriate availability to travel – up to 10 trips per fiscal year is to be expected. Must be able to travel outside of Canada.
• Flexible work hours must be accessible due to the unique nature of this job requiring travel, working with vendors in differing time zones and management of industry realities such as deadlines.
• Possess a natural ability to work effectively within a fast-paced environment.
• Confident in making decisions based on research, experience and industry know-how.
• Strong ability to provide and receive constructive feedback and is able to translate such feedback into immediate improvements.
• A collaborative, participatory, and outgoing team player.
If you are interested and have the experience we are looking for, please email your resume to email@example.com. For quicker processing, please include your NAME and POSITION you are applying for in the subject line. We thank all applicants in advance for your interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.