Like a trench coat or a pencil skirt a button up blouse is an absolute must have for any wardrobe. It instantly polishes any look and is one of the most versatile pieces you can own; it transitions seamlessly from day to evening and weekday to weekend, and works equally with a skirt or pants. A classic, crisp, collared white shirt is definitely the one to own but there are so many options out there from printed to bright coloured, silky to utility, cropped or sleeveless and don’t forget, a little detail (like the bow tie or lace one below) always adds a bit of flair. Just be careful with the fit, button ups can be tricky and can pull across the chest, so make sure they comfortably do up and aren’t showing a little too much. I’ve picked a few that stick with the traditional shape but with a few modern twists, think Joan from Mad Men in the Mango pick, or a professional twist on the popular plaid with the Babaton.
1. Joe Fresh Oxford Shirt, $29
2. Equipment Button Down Shirt, US $400, available at Farfetch
3. J. Crew Silk Dash-Dot Blouse, US $138
4. Aerie Silky Button Down Shirt, $32
5. Burberry London Lace Blouse, $753 available at Stylebop
6. Diane Von Furstenberg Esmely Blouse, US $311, available at Farfetch
7. Zara Long Colourblock Shirt, $59
8. Babaton Darien Blouse, $125, available at Aritzia
9. Mango Bow Textured Chiffon Blouse, $59
By: Rachel Ingram, Toronto
Are you an employer? Post your fashion job here.
Are you a job seeker? Find fashion jobs here.