While traditional blue jean shorts are a summer style staple year after year, it’s all about printed pairs this season. From bright floral prints to unique geometric shapes to wild animal patterns, printed shorts are a stylish way to add a bold statement to your warm-weather outfits.
What I love about this trend is that you can achieve a variety of different looks simply by changing your top. If you want your shorts to function as a statement piece, pair them with a solid coloured top and simple accessories. If you’re going for a more edgy look, treat your printed shorts as a neutral by pairing them with a cool graphic tee. If you want to rock the mixed-prints trend, pair your shorts with a differently patterned top. For example, wear a pair of floral printed shorts with a black and white striped t-shirt.
When paired with the right tops and accessories, printed shorts have the ability to take your look from casual to dressed up instantly. Swap a slouchy graphic tee for a classic white button-down for a more tailored daytime look, or add a pair of strappy heels and a fitted blazer for a night out on the town.
1. Sass Splendid Shorts, $59.95, available at The Iconic
2. French Connection Fast Gwendoline Linen & Cotton Floral Shorts, $51.16, available at Saks Fifth Avenue
3. Mink Pink Copacabana Shorts, $56, available at ThreadSense
4. ThreadSense Painted Desert Printed Shorts, $38
5. ThreadSense Reef Side Crocheted Chevron Shorts, $30
6. ThreadSense Baja California Striped Shorts, $40
7. Insight Tropico Printed Shorts, $60, available at ThreadSense
8. Mink Pink The Fast and the Fur-ious Shorts, $41.99, available at ModCloth
9. Forever 21 Drawstring Animal Print Shorts, $17.80
10. Forever 21 Vertical Stripe Denim Shorts, $21.80
By: Faryn Wegler, Toronto
Are you an employer? Post your job here.
Are you a job seeker? Find fashion jobs here.