Leather is the least likely textile to go hand-in-hand with spring, but this season, designers decided to play up on this abstract movement, enforcing the truthful motto, “opposites attract.”
It has been believed that leather is only acceptable and manageable during the cooler months, primarily featured in Fall/Winter collections. There are two key points to obey when making the sleek leather transition into spring: A) Ensure you keep a lighter colour palette – no black or dark brown leather jackets acceptable! Brands like Marni, Miu Miu, Thierry Mugler, and Fendi opted for a balance of white and pastels, maintaining a fresh look. B) Factor shape onto the drawing board when selecting leather pieces to update your wardrobe. Plenty of leather skater skirts with cutouts, and leather moto vests are huge in major retailers right now.
Will you help break the myth this season?
1. Marni Spring/Summer ’13 Runway, Image Courtesy of Elle
2. Thierry Mugler Spring/Summer ’13 Runway, Image Courtesy of Elle
3. Motel Deluxe Medusa Faux Leather Skater Dress in White, $90
4. Shakuhachi Leather Crocodile Vest, $341, available at Pixie Market
5. Alice & Olivia Finn Leather Boat Neck A-line Dress, $797
6. Catherine Malandrino Studded Perforated Leather Vest, $675, available at Nordstrom
7. Alice & Olivia Paradise Leather Rouched Crop Moto Jacket, $898
8. Miista Tara Pump, $223, available at Nasty Gal
By: Jenn McNaughton, Toronto
You should follow me on Twitter @jennmcnaughton.
Are you an employer? Post your job here.
Are you a job seeker? Find fashion jobs here.